--> At CallCenterOps.com we’re dedicated to providing information about operations management to those involved in real-time customer service via call centers.
Learn how to advertise on this site.
CCOps Home  |  Forum Home  |  Jobs Board  |  Library  |  Operations  |  Resources  |  In The News  |  Site Map

Go Back   CallCenterOps Forum > General Discussion
FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion The CallCenterOps Forum allows you to seek the advice of other knowledgeable call center professionals. Post your call center related question and contribute your opinion to others seeking advice. (No advertising is accepted - posts will be removed.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 AM

Call Forecasting & FTE Calculation

Hi All,

We are 40 seater inbound customer service call center and currently do not have any forecasting model. I have recently joined in a different function but took up the initiative to build some model around call forecasting & FTE calculation to ensure haywire over time pay out is reduced. Below are some statistics for work force management experts to help me build a model to achieve my goal of optimal FTE calculation.

Working hours : 24/7 - 365 days/year
Average Call Volume : 21,500 calls/month
Service Level goal : 90%
AHT : 180 sec (3mins)

I am sure there are additional statistics also required like shrinkage & etc(Please add to the list). Please share your expert opinion on this.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Hi, Please find below the Call Forecast Calculation.

Calls offered per day = 21500/31 = 694
Calls offered per week = 694 * 7 = 4855
90% of SL to be met = 694 * (90/100) = 625 Calls.

Lets assume techs would work for 9/5. (Hours of working per day / No of working days)
Out of the 9hrs - 11% would be for Aux Works (Breaks, Lunch, Dinner)
1 Hour of breaks for each agent per day will give you 8hrs of Calling.

So FTE Could be calculated as

Weekly Workload (in secs) = 4855*7*180 = 6117300 secs.
Weekly Workload (in Hrs) = 6117300/3600 = 1600 Hrs
Staffing Availablity in Hrs = 8*5 = 40hrs/Week

FTE (Full Time) = 1600/40 = 40 Agents.

Looking at you call volume... My assumption is that, Per 1Hr interval, you will be receiving 30 calls. So as per the AHT mentioned above. The agents required to pick those calls would be 3 Agents with an ASA of 30 secs.

If you are monitoring the call arrival pattern for the previous days to determine the peak hours and non peak hours. You can do your staffing requirements effectively. Inorder to give you accurate information. Please provide the time zone of the project and other metrics details so that we could do better.

Regards,
KK
Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 AM

Hi KK,

First of all thanks a lot for sharing your expertise. I am sure you can help me further on this, we are a domestic captive unit (Not a BPO) so time zone may be is out of question for calculations. In last few days I spoke to lot of people in our call centre from manager to agents and per se the call arriving pattern sounds very different. I think the best will be to get in touch over the email (My email : mirfurkhan@gmail.com) so that I can share all other metrics / data and also a FTE requirement I calculated using free erlang c model calculators available on web. Looking forward for your response.

Regards,
Furkhan
Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 AM

Hi,

I would like to add a point that you may want to also add a buffer of the leaves/unscheduled absenteeism to forecast the number of FTE's required. The normal shrinkage for calculation purposes is taken at 33%. This includes the weekly offs, leaves and unscheduled absenteeism.

Further, if your call centre is running on a ACD, try and build a historic call arrival trend. Based on the type of the product you service, you can choose different interval frequency for the arrival pattern. Ex: In a tech support environment, a 30 minute interval is used. In a telecom (which is highly unpredictable) a 15 minute interval is used.

You can also tag the AHT of each of these intevals to understand the number of agents required for that interval.

To be apt in your accuracy, a point that can also be assesed is the geographical location from where the agents travel. This would help a lot in staffing.

Let me know if you need more inputs.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 AM

Hi Kartik,

Weekly Workload (in secs) = 4855*7*180 = 6117300 secs,
could you please make me clear why weekly number of calls multiply with 7. where workload = number of calls * Average holding time.4855 is the result of weekly calls mutliplied with 7.

Regards,

Sami