--> At CallCenterOps.com we’re dedicated to providing information about operations management to those involved in real-time customer service via call centers.
Learn how to advertise on this site.
CCOps Home  |  Forum Home  |  Jobs Board  |  Library  |  Operations  |  Resources  |  In The News  |  Site Map

Go Back   CallCenterOps Forum > General Discussion
FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion The CallCenterOps Forum allows you to seek the advice of other knowledgeable call center professionals. Post your call center related question and contribute your opinion to others seeking advice. (No advertising is accepted - posts will be removed.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2002, 08:04 AM

ASA and SVL Correlation

I am battling with our Telecom department over our service level calculations. Can anyone share with me the various levels of service and the corresponding ASA's that they see. We are an 80/20 operation and I am seeing some very weird reporting on our ASA as related to Service Factor. I would be interested in other centers that run the 80/20 goal and what they see when they hi 80%, 85%, as far as ASA's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2002, 02:48 PM

If you could be more specific or give some examples, I might be able to help. In working with our resource group, we have come across some situations where a first glance did not logically make sense.

Last edited by smack; 06-30-2002 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-01-2002, 08:45 AM

Service level reported by the ACD is a function of the calls answered within you SL threshold (not ASA) and the number of abandoned calls. The actual calculation depends on the ACD, and some offer more than one variant, depending how you look at abandoned calls (e.g. do they represent a missed opportunity or just a necessary evil?) The different formulas can easily result in 10% difference in SL, which may explain your dispute with the telecom dept. Feel free to email me with the specifics.

Joe Barkai
DIAGNOSTIC STRATEGIES
www.DiagnosticStrategies.com
Tel. 781-433-0833
jbarkai@DiagnosticStrategies.com
Old 07-01-2002, 01:47 PM

An issue with the ASA / Service Level discrepancy I have seen before is that the reporting system requires Service Level Thresholds to be set prior to the reporting interval. If these aren't set, all of your calls will fall as out of service level. For a VERY rough calculation, you can use the out of service level % times service level target for an ASA. For instance, with you 80/20, ASA should be about 25 seconds. This accounts for some calls having no waiting and some having a high wait period. If you have a service level of 80% in 20 seconds and your ASA is over 30 or 40 seconds there may be an issue in the reporting system.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:18 PM

I think if you download PhoneCalc from ww.mitan.co.uk it will help you understand the relationship between ASA, service level, call duration, and abandon rate.
PhoneCalc will let you do everything you need to understand this in free demo mode (no time limit).
Old 11-08-2002, 08:56 AM

There may be some confusion between service levels as defined by call center calculators (often referred to as Grade of Service - GoS, which is an old telephony term) and service level as defined by ACD systems.

GoS is defined as the number of calls answered within a given threshold (e.g. 80% of calls within 60 seconds). Meeting this objective doesn’t mean that the AVERAGE response time is 60 seconds – ASA will be much better than that. There in no simple formula to convert from GoS to ASA – it depends on call load, resources, etc., which is where call center calculators are handy.

Service level calculated by the ACD is different. It tracks the number of calls offered, answered and abandoned within a predetermined time threshold (e.g. the 60 seconds above). There are three basic formulae to calculate service levels, depending on your strategy for treating abandoned calls, which as I noted above, can lead to significant differences in service level figures.

Typing equations here is challenging – email (jbarkai@DiagnosticStrategies.com) me if you want the formulae for calculating service levels.